12 November 2008

Christmas to-do list

Lest you think that I will somehow manage to get all (or any) of this done, this list is mostly just what I'm thinking about doing. What happens in my head and what happens in real life are two totally different things. This idea would be cute, but it would require going to yard sales to find old teacups first. That's probably not going to happen, but it sure would be fun.
Right, and these don't really have anything to do with Christmas. But aren't they beautiful? I'm sort of obsessed with peonies, and these look almost as wonderful as the real thing. You can get the instructions (which look very labor intensive) here. But, that's how I roll: maximum effort for minimum results, as with the birthday cake. Maybe this will be my New Year's project to decorate my craft area in the new house (more on that soon).
p.s. my brother Brian decided that my blog was finally worth his time, and his one comment was, "Emily, I feel for Erik. That's not right that he had to decorate that cake with pink frosting ruffles. A man shouldn't have to do that. He can make a cake, put some frosting on it, and even try to make it level...but ruffles?" I actually agree, and I'm looking forward to next year's Rainbow Chip perfection.
I have some neices and nephews on my Christmas list, and when I saw this I thought it was just about perfect. If I got a roll of quarters when I was a little kid, I think I would have flipped out. Perfect for a child, their own money for the rip-off candy/sticker/fake gold jewelry machines outside of grocery stores that parents never give them quarters for. Or, money to go to a dollar store with and let loose. Perfect.
This one is a must-do. I have two babies arriving before Christmas, and they're going to need some stockings. I think I'm going to make a new one for Reid, too. Last year (his first Christmas) the stocking that my mom and I whipped up turned out really cute, and really big. He fit inside of it last year as an 8 mos. old, and he may even this year, too. So, 3 stockings...coming up!
I think this is going to be my gift idea for local friends. I'll make some kind of drink concentrate and give it with a bottle of Pellegrino. Drinking a fancy drink in a pretty glass = Emily heaven.
This one is also a must-do. I've been wanting to make my own marshmallows for years, just because it looks so dang fancy. And, can you imagine one of these beauties melting in your cup of hot chocolate? Heaven. Annie is coming here for Christmas and she's up for making these with me. I'm so jazzed.
p.s. If you click on "Annie" it will take you to her blog, but don't bother, because she never updates it. Yeah, that's right Annie, I just called you out.
I just thought this picture was pretty.


Other than that, I need to:

1. make a tree skirt, finally

2. have my mom help me make a quilt for Reid's big boy bed (which he'll move to when we move to the new house. It depressed me to think of owning 3 cribs, so when the babies each go to their own bed, Reid goes to a big boy bed. Which, of course, requires a new quilt from mom (and grandma. Thank goodness for grandma or I'd never get anything done!)

3. Annie and I have plans to try and perfect Grannie's gingersnap recipe. It was her signature, and I think we need to learn how to make them just like her. They were too good for their legacy to die away.

4. Annie and I want to make some of these. Could you just die? Too bad I don't have any girl babies yet. But I have lots of adorable neices!
If I actually accomplish any of this nonsense, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Dahlia said...

I totally have these pages from a MS magazine torn out and in my wish book! I made the candle tea cups last year...head to a thrift store, you're bound to find some cute vintage cups there!!! :)

Lara Traynor said...

Hi Emily. I'm a little slow in commenting, but I read this post way back when... Anyway, I made these candles last year for Christmas presents and they came out really cute. Thanks for posting all these great ideas.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin