30 June 2009

blasphemy.

I can't even believe I'm about to say this. Uh, type this.

Have I talked about how much I love the book Pride and Prejudice? Or Jane Austen in general? (minus Mansfield Park. I kind of hate that one.) And I love Jane Austen movies.

The A&E version of Pride and Prejudice is just so good. Like it's in a class all of its own.
Until now.

I've rented it from Netflix a few times now, and this last time sealed the deal. I'm ready to put it on the same level as P&P.

And I may even like it more.

If you're thinking, "I've already watched the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility, why would I watch this one, too?", here's a few good reasons:
1. I love me some Emma Thompson. As an actress, I really like her and all of her wackiness (I need to rent Stranger than Fiction again). I like that she wrote the screenplay for her version of S&S, and I think she did a really wonderful job. I just think she was a good 10 years too old to play Elinor. It shows. Elinor is like 19 or something, and I'll bet that Emma Thompson was in her mid to upper thirties. Not that that's a bad age, just not right for a 19 year old character. The new version's Elinor is much more fitting.
2. Another mis-cast in the 1995 version is of Colonel Brandon. He's played by Creepy McCreepers, Alan Rickman. Who is also too old for his character. The new version's Brandon is much, MUCH better.
3. The setting of Barton Cottage is pure magic. I would die to live in that cottage by the sea. Seriously, it's worth renting just for the scenes of green rolling hills by the rocky sea.
4. You still get all of your favorite wacky characters. Sir John Middleton is great, as is Mrs. Jennings. The guy who plays Edward Ferrars is no Hugh Grant, but still very likable as Edward. Oh, and Fanny is even better in this version. She was great in the older one, but even better this time around. Deliciously nasty.

So have I convinced you? It's worth it, I promise. Even for those of you who detest these kind of period films. Matt.
And while you're at it, watch some P&P, too. Because, why not?

3 comments:

jill said...

I have been wanting to comment and I finally have a working keyboard! Hooray! Anyways, I just requested that movie from the library per your recommendation. I cannot wait (I'm number 32 in line).

The Arnolds said...

Hey Emily!
Gena gave me your blog address! I love your blog and all of the pictures of your cute kids!

I'm definintely going to have to watch that version of the movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

Talk to you soon!
-Tammy Arnold

Nick said...

Not convinced. Try again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin