So, I put it in the queue and last week Erik and I watched it. These days it takes us at least 2 or 3 times to watch a movie because of lack of free time, or because we are so exhausted that we fall asleep every time we try to watch something. But when I finally finished it, I have to say that I was mad. Really annoyed. This movie is such crap. I know I said I'd try to say crap less, but this movie is total garbage. I don't want to "spoil" (that was sarcasm for ya) this movie for you, but the storyline is that this guy dies, and goes to Judgement City where judges review his life and determine whether he's ready to move on or if he needs to go back to earth as another life and try again. Interesting concept, but it's full of lies.
It feels to me like this world is full of noise, full of people trying to tell you what to think. Trying to convince you of something. Propaganda, really. It's not always malicious, but the problem is that it's not always true. Like this movie.
It's a seemingly harmless movie, just a mindless way to spend a couple hours. But that's just how lies creep into our lives. We mindlessly listen and allow them to root in our minds.
Lies of this movie:
1. It shows all the previous lives that the characters had before. Women were men in previous lives and vice versa. Lie. I just don't believe it. I believe (with all of my female soul) that "Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."
2. The main guy dies, meets a girl and they fall in love. Seems sweet, right? Except that this girl (Meryl Streep) was married with two kids. Did they just disappear from her memory? She hardly mentions them. She's all of a sudden like a schoolgirl, giddy in love with this guy she just met in Judgement City. So what, when we die all our dearest relations here on earth are just faint memories? What a sad thought. I can't imagine my life without Erik and our sweet boys, let alone imagine an eternity without them. I believe that "The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave." I know that that is true. I know it.
So, the point...
My faith in the truthfulness of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is powerful force in my life. It's not just a faith, really. I know that it is true. It's all true. We can agree to disagree on this point, that's fine with me. But I had a moment while the babes were sleeping and Reid was eating breakfast and something in me just had to write this today.
I hope we are all careful of what messages we allow to come into our homes/minds/hearts. The truth is just so freeing and beautiful that I hope we don't waste time on the lies...whether they are malicious ones or just time and energy wasters.
If you, of my small but wonderful readership, are not of my faith and are curious about what I'm talking about...please ask me. You can email me, comment on this post, or check out lds.org
In the meantime, please read "The Family: A Proclamation to the World", I believe this with every bit of my being. It gives me hope and happiness. It makes my everyday worthwhile and meaningful takes away the uncertainty of the future.
Bottom line...Families are Forever.
...and thank heaven.


3 comments:
What a great post! Thank you!
You are right on!
Emily, You are so right and I love you for your strong faith and love for your family. Mom
Post a Comment