02 March 2009

can you believe it?

I always hear of people and the ridiculous finds that they get at yard sales and I burn with jealousy every time. Why can't I find such treasures? Well, on Saturday I did!

The dentist's office down the street was having a rummage sale with the proceeds going towards the group's "Relay for Life" team. One of the women who works at the office has breast cancer and she organized the sale. I picked up some little books for Reid (he was with me, out of his stroller, and trying to figure out how to pogo stick) and as I was walking around saw a box of fabric. Of course I stopped to check it out and deep inside I found this. It's a finished quilt top, a double bed size, all pieced together of about 1" wide hexagons. Millions of them. Probably 30+ years old. And get this, it's HAND PIECED! For you non-sewers, that means that some crazy lady out there sewed all of these tiny fabric scraps together with a needle and thread, BY HAND! I'm beyond jazzed.

When I took it up to the table to pay for it, the lady was like, "um...how about 2 dollars?"

me: (choking a little bit) "2 dollars? Did you ladies look at this?"

This is why I'm a horrible haggler. Horrible. I just can't feel right about it. I showed them how awesome it was and that it was hand pieced and that it's completely gorgeous and then handed them the twenty that I had with me. Erik was glad that I didn't have more money on me at the time. I don't care that they only wanted two bucks...it's wonderful, it's for charity, and I couldn't be happier. Except for a little residual guilt because I feel like they still got robbed. Two dollars?! Crazy.

3 comments:

jill said...

dying.
of.
jealousy.

people severly undervalue things like ld quilts and its so sad. can you imagine the time put into that???

Lynn said...

What a find!! What a treasure!! My head is spinning at the two bucks price tag!!

Jennifer said...

YAY Emily!! That is an AWESOME quilt top....are you going to have it professionally quilted or are you going to tackle it???

Blog Widget by LinkWithin