11 February 2009

Tender Mercies.

The weather in our part of California is just gorgeous. Really, it's nearly perfect. Maybe 95% perfect. The other 5% puts everyone into a tailspin. A couple weeks ago we had great 80 degree weather and then BOOM, we've had cold rainy (snow not too far away) weather for over a week now. Just about every family we know has had someone get sick, and in our family we're 3 for 3. Alec started with a runny nose and slight fever on Friday and it progressed to the point were Erik and I got pretty concerned. By Monday I took him into see our pediatrician with the concern that it was RSV. It was. He sent us to the hospital where they confirmed the RSV as well as pneumonia. I've been with Alec in the hospital since noon on Monday and we're hoping that he'll be able to go home tomorrow. I'm here to grab a shower, some decent food, give my other little ones some love, and hug on the huz for a little bit. He's been amazing...taking off work to watch our other babes, Reid and Dane, who have since started showing RSV symptoms, too. So 3 for 3. 3 kiddos all with RSV. I don't think I'll be bringing my kids to playdates anytime soon. We wouldn't be very welcome.
Now, to the good news, because there's lots.
1. Alec is a fighter. He's had more health struggles than any 2 month old should have to have. I haven't really talked about them much here, but some of them are run of the mill baby stuff: jaundice and bilirubin test after stinkin' bilirubin test, a tear duct drainage system problem which leads to goopy eyes sometimes, etc. But he's also had some more serious things. A month ago he had a bi-lateral hernia repair operation. Prior to that he had ultrasounds, urgent care visits, and a 7 hour stay in the stupid Lompoc ER (which I do NOT recommend). The surgery went well and his recovery has been fantastic. Our other concern is that prenatally he was diagnosed with coarctation of the aorta. That means that there's a narrowing in the aorta that could require surgery someday. He's being followed for that by a really great Pediatric cardiosurgeon. So...all this to say that he's had some struggles. But I don't worry about Alec. He's tough. You should see him when the nurses and doctors are poking and prodding him. He really gives them a run for their money. He's batting their arms away and screaming in their faces. It's awesome. Just because he's small, he's not going to get pushed around. He lets you know just where you stand with him. He'll give us about 10 seconds from the time that he decides he's hungry to when we had better get food in his face. This kid is scrappy, and it's a good thing he is. A tender mercy.
2. Our ward members are practically beating the door down with meals, offers to babysit, anything we need or want. It's amazing. They are very aware of us and are SO anxious to help. I can't imagine what we would do without a ward family to be a part of. What a tender mercy.
3. Months ago Erik's parents made arrangements to come out this weekend. They wanted to see the babies, help us with our small projects around the house (look for a post in the someday future about the joys of homeownership as well as the joys of toddlerdom), and just hang out with us in gorgeous California. I've been so excited for them to come, I LOVE when company comes! But now, it's more than just a fun visit from Grandma and Grandpa, it's a tender mercy. We've got some sick kids, and we can't wait for the extra help.

I'm sure there are millions more, but it's time for me to go back to the hospital to care for our little Alec. What an angel. We've got 3 wonderful little boys and we're so grateful for a Heavenly Father who is aware of us and our needs, gives us JUST what we can handle and not a morsel of a struggle more, and sends help all along our way.

1 Nephi 1:20
...But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

I'm not sure if we're chosen, or mighty, but we can certainly feel the tender mercies of the Lord, even unto deliverance. You know what I mean?

8 comments:

Dahlia said...

Thank goodness you took Alec in! We'll keep you in our prayers and hope everyone starts feeling better soon :)

Gena Susan said...

Thinking of you & your sweet babies. Let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help! Ever! :)

Cheri said...

Emily, I'm so glad to hear that you have such a great ward taking care of you! The Lord sure knows where we are all meant to be.

The Mattesons said...

I ditto Dahlia's comment. We lost Kyler 3 times to RSV and it is no joke. We will be keeping your family in our prayers and hope you are all feeling better real soon.

Jan said...

Emily, so sorry to hear of all the trials and sickness! I was cleaning out the medicine cabinet recently and found the albuterol Kate had for RSV and it is still "good" (not expired). If you'd like it (to avoid the cost of another prescription or to have some as a backup for the future), I'll pop it in the mail. It is the kind you use with a nebulizer for RSV or asthma.

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

You are amazing. I admire the faith and optimism that you express, even during trials. I always learn from you. Your family will be in our prayers. Miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Emily and Erik You are very strong... and ironically this is just the blog I needed to read... Elijah is having some health issues, the Dr.'s aren't too sure whats going on... : ( and shawn is in kwait... So to hear just how strong you and erik are with 3 sick children.. gives me strenght! I will keep you and your boys in prayer...God bless you and Stay strong!

Lynn said...

Hope your three precious boys are on the mend!

Your strength and ability to see the silver lining is inspirational!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin