05 January 2010

Spread the love.

Okay, seriously. Is there a fresh & easy store near you? Are you there like all the time? You should be! It's my new favorite store.

Here's what is so perfect about this store:
-great produce that's easy and accessible
-the produce isn't in huge mounds (like apples for example. I hate going to the supermarket and seeing a ginormous mountain of apples. I'm always like, "I bet that's the exact same shipment of apples that I saw last week and probably the week before that." I don't know why stores do that. Does the feeling of bounty make people buy more? I love how f&e (how we'll now refer to it) has apples in a pack or a bag of 4, with a set price, and the label has an "eat by" date on it and every time I go it's a new shipment with a new date.)
-OH! AND...they have this thing called 98¢ produce packs. Have you seen Food, Inc.? You know that Hispanic family that goes to the supermarket and explains how crappy food (McDonald's) is cheaper and more accessible than good-for-you food? Well, f&e has made it easy for you. A family can buy 10 things from the dollar menu, or you can buy a 3 lb. bag of potatoes, carrots, apples, grapes, lettuce, oranges, bananas, tomatoes, etc. for that same $10. Cook some beans or lentils, buy some cheese and that's like my favorite way to eat.
-it's like a step down on the pretentious scale from Trader Joe's. Don't get me wrong, I love Trader Joe's. It's like a fun, specialty store. But this is a fun everyday store. I bought a boatload of food tonight for $132. A TON of food. I think I'll try to scan the receipt to post it. Because I know you care that much. Oh, and like half of what I bought is organic. Beat that!

-OH! And they carry Stretch Island fruit leather. Mom, isn't that exciting?
Secondly...are you a quilter? More specifically, are you a quilter that's obsessed with Heather Ross? Well, I am.
I think I have a new favorite to add the the group, however. I submit this awesomeness to you for your viewing pleasure.
The designer is Lizzy House, and that's just a cool name anyway. This is her third line, and her first two lines were pretty rad, but not produced by megacompanies like Moda or Free Spirit, so I don't think they got their fair share of attention. I hope this third line gets more notice, because it has all the right ingredients to be a hit. So check her out. She keeps a cool blog, she's a printmaker, she's Mormon, she's a BYU-I grad, her mom has a sweet line of quilt patterns, what's not to love?
Some Emily thoughts for the day. Look for a post about real life stuff in the very near future.

3 comments:

jill said...

Hmmm, I'm worried because I've been checking your blog since your last post (jan 3) because of your new resolution. You know, the one about blogging once a week? I hadn't seen any new posts, but this morning there was a new post, from Jan 5? I feel a little bit like I'm in a time warp.

Anyways, I love the new fabric. I wish we had a fresh and easy near us! (by near I mean an hour and a half away in Olympia, or two hours away in Seattle or Portland). No luck.

I hope you're doing well!

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

Wow! I wish we had a F&E near us. Our local options are Wal-Mart (so not fresh) and the commissary (still not that fresh). So I'm trying to do my first actual quilt for a church activity. Really wish you were here to help!!

Dahlia said...

I'm bummed that there's only 5 F&E stores in the country...and nowhere near Kansas - but they sound amazing. Fresh is best and it SHOULD be more available and inexpensive.
And I LOVE those fabrics from Lizzy House. Gorgeous. I want to start quilting just so I have a reason to go buy her stuff. Or maybe I'll just have it to look at. It would look beautiful just stacked neatly on a shelf.

And I'm still waiting on your business ideas. If it's not public info yet, just throw me a bone via email. I'm dying here!!! :)

Thank you for all of the inspiration in your posts, can't wait to see some more next week ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin